Most people would agree the notion that car insurance is an important and responsible part of owning and driving an automobile. However, determining what should be included in an automobile insurance policy can be the source of much debate. There are generally five types of coverage that can be included in a standard insurance policy.
- Liability – This insurance covers any damages you cause as a result of an accident and is typically required by state law.
- Collision – If you have a newer car, collision coverage is a good idea as it will handle any damage to your car as a result of an accident.
- Comprehensive – This is also a good addition to your policy if you have a newer car as it covers damage to your car that is unrelated to an accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Protection –If you are in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance and is at fault, this policy addition will take care of your
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage – If you are in an accident with a driver who does not have enough insurance and is at fault, this policy addition can help take care of your expenses.
Medical payment coverage is often an afterthought; however, this important add-on will cover medical costs regardless of who is found at fault for the accident. In addition to medical payments it can also help to pay for the following:
- Funeral expenses if there is a death as a result of the accident.
- Injuries sustained by passengers in your car or other cars involved in the accident.
- Injuries sustained as a pedestrian or bicyclist if you are injured by a car.
- Dental care required because of an accident.
It is important to remember that benefits and specific coverage will differ depending upon your insurance carrier and the details of your policy.
If you have questions about medical payment coverage, talk to a reputable insurance agent.
The Morrissey Law Firm, PC, is located in Springfield, Missouri, and focuses in personal injury and wrongful death trial work. If you need a personal injury or wrongful death attorney, please visit our website or call (417) 887-0529 to schedule a consultation.