Halloween can be an irresistible holiday for children. After all, dressing up in costumes, going trick-or-treating, and fall fun all seem made for kids. Their enthusiasm over Halloween is understandable, but sometimes in all the excitement, children can forget to be careful or follow basic safety rules. Reviewing these Halloween safety tips with them in advance ensures they will have fun this year, and for years to come.
- For night trick-or-treating, bring flashlights and have the kids wear glow sticks, reflective tape, and/or bright colors. Not only does it make them easier for you to keep an eye on, but it makes them more visible to passing traffic.
- Remind kids to only cross streets at crosswalks, obey all traffic signals, and look both ways before crossing the street.
- Watch for cars coming out of alleys and backing out of driveways.
- Children should only go trick-or-treating with adult supervision, at homes the children and/or the adults are familiar with.
- Make sure children can see and hear out of their costumes, and that the costume allows them to walk comfortably without tripping.
- For teens engaging in Halloween fun with friends, go over an exact route so that you will know where they are supposed to be at all times. Set a curfew, and remind them not to cut through alleys, fields, or other isolated areas. Go over expectations for behavior, and what is acceptable Halloween fun versus illegal activity.
- Never go trick-or-treating alone, at any age.
- Inspect all candy and remove any undesirable pieces, or candy that isn’t securely wrapped.
- Keep pets indoors and the candy out of their reach. Candy and wrappers can choke or harm a pet, and chocolate is toxic to dogs. If you’re having a party, keep pets separate from Halloween candles, decorations, and costumes to avoid fire and other accidents
The Morrissey Law Firm wishes you and your family a fun and safe Halloween!
The Morrissey Law Firm, PC, is located in Springfield, Missouri, and focuses in personal injury and wrongful death trial work. If you need a personal injury or wrongful death attorney, please visit our website or call (417) 887-0529 to schedule a consultation.